Why a Social Media Strategy?
Written by Allison Herrera
I would argue that a brand’s social media might just be the most important aspect of their marketing strategy. I know, that’s a bold statement, but think about it….
How do you find most of the brands you use? Social media. Where do you go to see real people experiencing a product? Social media. Where do you go when you have a concern about the brand or their product? Social media.
Social Media is where brands can be their most authentic selves and can interact with their customers on a more personal level – all while promoting their product in a subtle, but effective way.
Prioritizing social media can flip your whole brand upside down. You’ll start seeing better results, higher levels of engagement, and (hopefully) an increase in revenue. Understanding the importance of not only implementing social media marketing, but prioritizing it as well can be extremely beneficial for strengthening your brand and the connection to your audience.
Show Your Customers Your Personality
This is your chance to show everyone the best aspects of your business or brand. Consider what your audience may want to know or will be the most helpful information. Your social media profiles are a hub of information for your customers – from opening hours to products to menus.
You want to make sure that you are highlighting how trustworthy your business is, that means sharing everything about your business. We use social media as a tool for our clients in sharing your staff bios, product photos/videos, behind the scenes content, etc. Don’t forget to always incorporate your company’s core values, brand voice, and uniqueness in every post you create.
You can also use your social media as a hub in highlighting what makes your business unique and sets you apart from your competition. Keep your branding consistent, yet still trendy – you want to keep attracting customers for as long as you can.
Remember that social media is not the place to be inauthentic! You want to invest your time in your social media to keep the connection to your customers as authentic and as real as possible.
Target and Attract Your Audience
Social media serves multiple purposes, so narrowing down how you want to use it and who you are trying to reach through messaging is crucial. With the advancements in social media, reaching and interacting with your audience through social media provides value, while remaining more of a low-cost way of marketing your business. If you concentrate on the characteristics of your target audience, you can effectively personalize messages that appropriately resonate with your target audience. For example, the mediums and language you would use to connect with a Gen-Z female varies from how you would attract an audience of male baby boomers.
To help you determine your target audience, ask yourself these questions:
- Who is the audience you’re trying to reach?
- What platforms does this audience typically use?
- What trends are popular among this audience?
Diversify Your Content
Not all social media platforms are created equal. Consider what your business is and how it can grow on certain social media platforms. For example, an interior designer might do better on Pinterest than someone who is in plumbing. Also, every platform has their own content that may perform better than on another. Consider Reels – they were initially only made for Instagram, but now you are able to watch them on Facebook.
Being able to diversify your content is a great way to connect with your audience while maintaining a consistent presence on social media. But remember, not all content is meant for all platforms. Below is a breakdown of each popular platform and their purpose.
- Facebook: You’re allowed to post a range of content like pictures, videos, articles, and galleries. With Facebook you can reach a large audience because everything is so public.
- Twitter: Remember you are limited with your characters, 280 characters to be exact. Messages are going to be more short, sweet and to the point, maybe even a little informal. But you’re able to post photos, videos and articles to accompany your text.
- Instagram: This is your hub for sharing photos and videos! There’s many different ways to reach your audience: hashtags, locations and tagging users.
- LinkedIn: Consider this or professional network. You can share posts or articles related to your business or your industry. This will be a great hub to collect new employees and share your current company culture.
- Pinterest: Remember her? This platform lets users discover new content like pictures and articles that are based on their favorite interests. Users are able to browse by topic and categorize everything they find into boards for future use.
- TikTok: He’s the new kid on the block that works off of short form video clips. The audience on TikTok is a much younger audience and you need to stay relevant. But because they are a newer app, it’s a little easier to go viral and reach a wider audience
Don’t limit yourself to one platform – consider having a range of social profiles. But, keep in mind to diversify your content. Some content may not be relevant to certain platforms. It can take a lot of time and energy to create different content for different profiles. Consider hiring a marketing agency, a.k.a us, to help you plan your content!
Create An Attainable Plan
After assessing your clients’ needs, it’s time to put together their goals with an attainable and specific plan. Whenever we welcome a new account to the Uptown Girl Media family, we explain that marketing is not a “one size fits all”, so each client’s plan differs based on what we refer to as “SMART Goals” – an acronym we use for goal setting. Click here and read our blog post all about SMART Goals.
It’s incredibly important to track how well your social media content is working or if you need to adjust your strategy. But there are many numbers to process, which can become overwhelming. Start off by focusing on your followers, then process engagement you’re receiving. This can help you determine what your followers love or hate, and is also a great start to tracking your overall goal.
Don’t get discouraged if you aren’t seeing results right away! Social media is a process and results can take as long as 12-18 months. Rome wasn’t built in one day 😉
Wondering what else you can track on social media? We can help break down your data to give you a full report of how your social media is performing.
Getting your brand out there can be hard, especially when there are millions of social media users competing against. Understanding why you should prioritize social and the benefits that can come from that is a great start!
Overall, social media is a serious game changer in pushing your brand to where you aspire it to be. Does this all still seem a little confusing to you? It’s okay – that’s why we’re here to help. Social is our speciality, and we would love nothing more than to assist you in transforming your business. Ready to strengthen your brand and get social? Give us a call!